Thursday, April 17, 2008



I did this oil sketch of a cast this morning. It started out as an excuse to use up the colour's on my palette as I'm a cheap skate and didn't want to waste the paint! The colour's used were: Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber, Naples Yellow and White. It was an enjoyable exercise and I'd been thinking about doing a limited palette painting for a while - I think I'll try in on a figure sketch next. It's interesting reading about other artists palettes: Zorn, Velazquez, Rembrandt and Sargent all used a pretty limited set of colours for a lot of their work. I think it helps the sense of harmony in the picture, its seems in the paintings that I like the most less is often more. I've also been reading a lot of Richard Schmidt - an amazing contemporary painter and well worth checking out if you don't know him. He's an amazing figure painter and a real inspiration.

No comments: